Having meals together is one of the best ways to connect as a family. It is during this time that the family sit with each other. In this day and age of obsession over digital media, this is the only time we keep our technical gadgets aside and focus solely on interacting with other members of the family.
Thus, the dining room décor should radiate warmth and positive vibes such that even guests feel at home. For this, we have come up with 5 decor ideas to revamp your dining room.
5 timeless tips that help in making your dining room look swanky
Sometimes it is just small changes that have an impact on the décor. So let us explore some fundamental wall décor ideas which can be made without breaking the bank:
Colours can brighten up and significantly elevate the mood of a room. Depending on the size of the room and your personal preference, you can experiment with the colours. Do not be scared to go bold if your room is spacious, even if it involves painting only the accent wall. In case, your dining space is a small get-together corner, then you can think of going for fresh, light, and pastel colours which will make the area more spacious. Currently, an earthy fresh colour pallet is trending which can evoke a natural, lively, and pleasant temperament in the room. Alternatively, you can also consider wainscoting in combination with designer wallpaper. Wainscoting helps in highlighting the wall paint or the wallpaper.
Jazz up the accent wall
Take all the liberty to jazz up your accent wall with a personalized approach by displaying the family photos. Use photo frames that are in synch with the rest of your décor. Alternatively, you can hang in an artistic work or a large mirror which can change the entire set up of the room, making it more attractive.
A perfect lighting fixture can create a powerful impact on the overall ambience of the dining room. Choosing the right lighting for the dining room can be a daunting task. Experts suggest that adding three layers of lighting to a space can fulfil all your lighting needs. These three layers of lighting are – ambient lighting, accent lighting and task lighting. These layers also offer the flexibility to set up the desired atmosphere. The below mentioned fixtures can help you achieve these layers –
- Pendants Pendants can be a good lighting solution for contemporary homes. You can either opt for a large statement pendant or a mix of small 2-3 pendants depending on the size of your dining table. Pendant lights come with adjustable heights, a variety of styles and are reasonably priced. However, pendant lights are not meant for illuminating the entire room.
- Chandeliers Be it a classic or a contemporary décor style, chandeliers can easily fit in. They add a timeless elegance to a room. It is recommended that the diameter of the chandelier should be one half or two-thirds the length of the dining table. Additionally, it should be centred on the dining table to create a focal point.
- Flush Mounts and Semi-Flush Mounts Flush mounts are dome or drum-shaped lighting fixtures that fit around the light on the ceilings. Unlike chandeliers and pendants, they do not tend to hang low. But, in the case of semi-flush mount lights, the base of the light extends below the ceiling. Still, they do not hang as low as chandeliers and pendants.These lights blend in with the décor seamlessly without attracting much attention.
- Recessed lights Recessed light does not grab attention as most of its fixture is hidden, usually within a false ceiling. These subtle lights are good for low ceilings. Recessed lights have a limited reach. This is the reason why it needs to be used in combination with other lights to illuminate the entire room.
- Wall Lights Wall lights are good for creating a relaxed atmosphere. They do not provide a lot of illumination and serve as secondary lights. They can create a perfect ambience for the dining rooms.
Tablescaping or decorating the dining table for different occasions makes it appealing and intriguing and makes your guests feel special and invited. Table scaping can be done all year round and doesnt have to be limited to occasions. Some basic tablescaping ideas are:
Table Linens Table linens help in achieving a more cohesive set up as far as the dining table is concerned. Select linen that complements the table. The right blend of colours, fabric, shape, and size of the table linens can emphasize the décor of the dining room making it engaging for the visitors.
Tableware For a more tempting presentation, it is important to have a proper combination of tableware. Even a simple home-cooked meal looks more appetizing when presented with appropriate tableware. Presentation matters and it holds good when serving food as well. Your guests will notice the efforts that have been put in and they are going to appreciate it.
Statement centrepieces on the dining table A statement centrepiece can bring in character to the dining room. A centrepiece can be a vintage candle holder or ceramic jars and pots with beautiful designs or exclusively unique vessels. Even a handmade rustic vase of flower can introduce a required dash of colour to your dining table.
Trendy dining table with beautiful chairs
A dining table is the cynosure of a dining room. It occupies a prominent position in a dining room and hence it calls for special emphasis as the entire décor of the dining room revolves around a dining table. Hence special consideration is important when choosing the right dining table for your dining room. Select you dining table depending on the number of family members, frequency of guests that you entertain, space in your dining room and your style. Some of our recommendations include
Classic or standard dining tables You can go for standard dining tables which can be in the form of single pedestal dining tables, double pedestal dining tables, four-legged tables or trestle tables. For dining rooms where space is an area of concern, drop leaf tables, pull-out console tables and butterfly leaf tables can be good alternatives.
Experimenting with chairs for a chic twist And if you are one of those who like experimenting, then you can go for chic and stylish chairs paired with vintage tables. Here you can pop in some colourful and designer cushions on the chairs, or you can use some stylish throws on the chairs for more warmth and cosiness. In a set of 6 dining chairs, you can go for 4 chairs with one colour and the other 2 in a contrasting colour.
A Credenza is similar to a sideboard and is generally a part of the dining room. Not only does it radiate elegance, but it serves as a good storage space and can function as a buffet table. A credenza can be used to store your linens, tablewares, décor items etc. It can also act as a surface where you can display your décor items like a flower vase, candle stands or your collection of souvenirs.
The way you decorate your space tells a lot about your personality. Your living space is a reflection of you as a person. A tastefully decorated room shows your dedication and love towards your space. Moreover, it is not just about aesthetics. Comfort is equally important. So, keep in mind this factor. At the end of the day, it is a place where you and your guests can just unwind, de-stress and chow down. Bon Appetit!